Gingerbread House Cookie Recipe - No Spread, Holds Up, Delicious!
Gingerbread House Cookie Recipe
Yield: Makes two 6 x 6 inch houses from our Gingerbread House Kit OR 2 dozen 2" cookies.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened (You can substitute with 1 cup vegetable shortening)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
2 large eggs
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons ground ginger
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
4 ½ - 5 cups all-purpose flour (Adjust flour if the dough is sticky)
- Preheat oven to 375º F, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat® mats.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together butter (or shortening) and sugar until smooth. Add molasses, and mix until combined.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition. Add cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and clove. Mix on medium-low speed until combined.
- With your mixer on low, add the flour, ½ cup at a time, until the dough forms a ball and pulls cleanly away from the sides of the bowl. If your dough is still too sticky, add up to an additional ½ cup of flour.
- The dough will look dry when you first add your flour, but will come together after a few minutes of mixing.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of ¼ inch between two sheets of parchment paper. Place rolled out dough in the refrigerator to chill for at least two hours.
- Remove one piece of chilled dough at a time from time from the refrigerator and cut shapes with the included gingerbread house cookie cutters.
- Transfer shapes to the prepared baking sheets, and bake for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the cookies are set around the edges and just a little softer towards the centers.
Gingerbread House Baking Tips
Here are some tips on making these adorable gingerbread houses whether for yourself, gifts or for sale.
- Gingerbread cookies are sturdier than sugar cookies, and better for construction.
- To decorate the house, you can use your our classic vanilla royal icing recipe, or add in a special flavor like butter or cream cheese.
- Using brown icing that matches the color of the cookie will help hide the “seams” in construction.
- If you are using a Cookie Countess paint palette to paint your house, we found that one Rainbow palette was enough to paint one full house, or choose 2 of our other 4 color palates for even more options!
Recommended for You:
AtecoOriginal price $ 1.65 - Original price $ 1.65Original price$ 1.65$ 1.65 - $ 1.65Current price $ 1.65in stock
Don't let your icing bags leak or dry out! Use these covers on bags with Ateco couplers and standard tips on them. Reuse them again and again. Se...View full detailsOriginal price $ 1.65 - Original price $ 1.65Original price$ 1.65$ 1.65 - $ 1.65Current price $ 1.65
The Cookie CountessOriginal price $ 1.85 - Original price $ 1.85Original price$ 1.85$ 1.85 - $ 1.85Current price $ 1.85in stock
A black edible-ink pen is essential for your decorating kit. Use these high quality markers for: Marking up baked cookies for planning designs Wri...View full detailsOriginal price $ 1.85 - Original price $ 1.85Original price$ 1.85$ 1.85 - $ 1.85Current price $ 1.85
The Cookie CountessOriginal price $ 23.99Original price $ 23.99 - Original price $ 23.99Original price $ 23.99Current price $ 14.99$ 14.99 - $ 14.99Current price $ 14.99in stock
Incredibly high quality, with no plastic parts. Whether baking or cooking you'll reach for these essentials again and again! THESE ARE THE LAST SET...View full detailsOriginal price $ 23.99Original price $ 23.99 - Original price $ 23.99Original price $ 23.99Current price $ 14.99$ 14.99 - $ 14.99Current price $ 14.99Save 38% Save %
The Cookie CountessOriginal price $ 6.99Original price $ 6.99 - Original price $ 6.99Original price $ 6.99Current price $ 5.99$ 5.99 - $ 5.99Current price $ 5.99in stock
Just add water for white, stiff icing! Perfect for stenciling, dots and eyes, writing, or thin it for flooding. You can tint it any color you need!...View full detailsOriginal price $ 6.99Original price $ 6.99 - Original price $ 6.99Original price $ 6.99Current price $ 5.99$ 5.99 - $ 5.99Current price $ 5.99Save 14% Save %
The Cookie CountessOriginal price $ 5.50 - Original price $ 5.50Original price$ 5.50$ 5.50 - $ 5.50Current price $ 5.50in stock
These cute sheets will help you plan your cookie orders. The back has an area for sketching and pricing planning. Size: 5" x 7" 50 Sheet Pad Tear ...View full detailsOriginal price $ 5.50 - Original price $ 5.50Original price$ 5.50$ 5.50 - $ 5.50Current price $ 5.50
Thirteen. Or three. Seven? It could be anywhere in between, honestly. It really depends on how quickly you can move while you’re stenciling! What makes us have to rinse the stencil off in between cookies in the first place? Two...