How to Make Halloween Graveyard Brownies
Hi everyone, Katie here! We LOVE Halloween here at CCHQ (Cookie Countess Headquarters). We love the fun, the creepiness, the candy, and the creativity!
Halloween 2020 will certainly be different this year, but that doesn't mean you and your family or friends can't have some baking fun. I dreamt up this ghouly Graveyard Dessert that will be perfect for your social distanced Halloween get-together! I am a novice at cookie decorating, so trust me when I say this one is pretty easy.
This is a great hands on project to get kids involved with as well.
Keep in mind this is just a guide, feel free to have some fun with it! Change the colors, add some gummy worms, or dig into the brownie to make a spooky grave.
Enjoy and let's get spooky!
- Pan of brownies (or sheet cake)
- Buttercream frosting
- Gel Icing Colors: Gourmet Green, Totally Brown, Sunshine Yellow & Outrageously Orange
- Grass icing tip
- Tipless piping bags
Treat Base Directions:
- Bake brownies as per box or recipe directions, let cool completely & do not cut them.
- Divvy up buttercream frosting in three bowls. One bowl should have a bit more than the other two for your main grass color (I chose green)
- Frosting bowl 1 (with the most frosting): To make a “dying grass” green color, I used Gel Icing Colors: Gourmet Green & Totally Brown. Mix and add gel colors until you get the desired effect.
- Frosting bowl 2: To make the “browning grass” color, I used Sunshine Yellow, Outrageously Orange & Totally Brown. Mix and add gel colors until you get the desired effect.
- Frosting bowl 3: To make the “hay dead grass” color, I used Sunshine Yellow & Totally Brown Mix and add gel colors until you get the desired effect.
- For each of the three different frosting colors: Cut the end of a Cookie Countess Tipless bag enough to hold a piping tip (I used 10” 55 microns). Add a grass piping tip and fill the bag.
- Create a patchy grass appearance as you might see in an abandoned cemetery.
- Dark Chocolate Cookie (recipe here)
- Royal Icing (recipe here)
- Gel Icing Color: Tuxedo Black
- Bamboo skewers
- Gravestone cookie cutters
- Gravestone stencils
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Make cookie dough according to the instructions.
- Chill rolled cookie dough, then cut with gravestone cookie cutters. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. (Hack: Use the Classic Gravestone cutter and ‘“decapitate” the top (HAHA). BOOM, there you have it! A third gravestone shape!)
- Slide cut bamboo skewers into the center of the cookies before baking, and then bake 10-14 minutes
- Let cookies cool completely.
- Make royal icing as per directions.
- Remove 1 cup of royal icing and tint black with Tuxedo Black gel icing color, set aside. This will be for your grave inscriptions.
- Tint the rest of the royal icing with Tuxedo Black icing gel color, but tint it to be gray (as gray as you’d like!) Keep any unused royal icing in an airtight container.
- Outline, then flood the chocolate gravestone cookies with the gray tinted royal icing.
- Let flooded cookies dry overnight.
- Stencil gravestone cookies with the reserved black royal icing. You can also use one of our tipless bags to hand pipe on the gravestones. I piped “RIP 2020” on one. Haha! Let dry. If you’re new to cookie stenciling, watch our tutorial here.
- Crushed sugar cookies
- Gel Icing Color: Gourmet Green
- Thin pretzel sticks
- Melting chocolate
- Crushed sugar cookies into a grainy powder in a Zip-Lock bag.
- Add drops of Gourmet Green gel icing color to the bag, shake and knead until the crumbs turn green resembling moss.
- Using your gray tinted royal icing, brush some over the areas of each gravestone cookie where you’d like there to be moss. Sprinkle the green crumbs over the cookies. Place cookies aside to dry off.
- For the pretzel fence, melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl 30 seconds at a time until melted.
- Arrange the pretzel stick in the form of a broken fence. Dip a thin pretzel rod in the melted chocolate, length wise. Place it over the arranged pretzels to make fence pieces.
Assemble the scene!
- Place the pretzel fence around the perimeter of the pan, gently pressing the pretzels into the brownies.
- Arrange the gravestones and insert them into brownies using the skewers.
Enjoy, and have a safe Halloween 2020!
Recommended for You:
AtecoOriginal price $ 1.65 - Original price $ 1.65Original price$ 1.65$ 1.65 - $ 1.65Current price $ 1.65in stock
Don't let your icing bags leak or dry out! Use these covers on bags with Ateco couplers and standard tips on them. Reuse them again and again. Se...View full detailsOriginal price $ 1.65 - Original price $ 1.65Original price$ 1.65$ 1.65 - $ 1.65Current price $ 1.65
The Cookie CountessOriginal price $ 1.85 - Original price $ 1.85Original price$ 1.85$ 1.85 - $ 1.85Current price $ 1.85in stock
A black edible-ink pen is essential for your decorating kit. Use these high quality markers for: Marking up baked cookies for planning designs Wri...View full detailsOriginal price $ 1.85 - Original price $ 1.85Original price$ 1.85$ 1.85 - $ 1.85Current price $ 1.85
The Cookie CountessOriginal price $ 23.99Original price $ 23.99 - Original price $ 23.99Original price $ 23.99Current price $ 18.99$ 18.99 - $ 18.99Current price $ 18.99in stock
An heirloom quality set of measuring cups. Incredibly high quality, with no plastic parts. Whether baking or cooking you'll reach for these essenti...View full detailsOriginal price $ 23.99Original price $ 23.99 - Original price $ 23.99Original price $ 23.99Current price $ 18.99$ 18.99 - $ 18.99Current price $ 18.99Save 21% Save %
The Cookie CountessOriginal price $ 7.00 - Original price $ 7.00Original price$ 7.00$ 7.00 - $ 7.00Current price $ 7.00in stock
Just add water for white, stiff icing! Perfect for stenciling, dots and eyes, writing, or thin it for flooding. You can tint it any color you need!...View full detailsOriginal price $ 7.00 - Original price $ 7.00Original price$ 7.00$ 7.00 - $ 7.00Current price $ 7.00
The Cookie CountessOriginal price $ 5.50 - Original price $ 5.50Original price$ 5.50$ 5.50 - $ 5.50Current price $ 5.50in stock
These cute sheets will help you plan your cookie orders. The back has an area for sketching and pricing planning. Size: 5" x 7" 50 Sheet Pad Tear ...View full detailsOriginal price $ 5.50 - Original price $ 5.50Original price$ 5.50$ 5.50 - $ 5.50Current price $ 5.50
If you have whipped up a batch of black royal icing and noticed that it has a tint of a different color to it, you’re probably wondering what the heck happened and what you can do to fix it. Two...